- Maggie Georgieva
- Twitter: @MGIEVA
- an inbound marketing manager
5 email marketing
challenges & solutions
How to get them
- 2012 Email Marketing benchmark
- BenchmarkMarketingSherpa surveyed 2,735 companies
- Every company ranks the significance of 12 common challenges.
- Here we focus on top 5, and suggest some ideas.
- BTW, the top 1 challenge in 2011 survey is,
targeting recipients with highly relevant content
1. Integrating email data with other data systems
To amass valuable data
across different channels
- relationship between landing page and email
- email marketing performance and social media activities
others data systems
- form submissions
- activities on site
- Get your hands on the right tool
- Think segmentation
- Develop content
2. Improving deliverability
- message delivered to recipients' inboxs / total number of sent message
Low deliverability rate means
- blocked by ISPs
- marked as spam
- wasting money in sending messages
- Regular maintenance
- A stricter opt-in process
- Preference center
3. Growing & retaining subscribers
- Increasing email list size and
Keeping contacts engaged are not easy
Two common responses
Purchase lists to grow email database
- This will surely get you into trouble
- some invalid addresses
- new recipients may most likely not be interested in yr content
Send fewer emails to retain subscribers
- Rarity of emails means Special? Wrong!
- Frequency of emailing doesn't necessarily negatively impact subscriber retention.
to Earn subscribers
Clear value proposition in email opt-in
- Don't purchase email lists, but earn subscribers!
- Be clear to target market about what they'll get out of subscribing.
- Give subscribers a clear description of what the value proposition is.
Segment lists to match your priorities
- Concerning emailing subscribers too often?
- Ask if you're emailing the Right people with Right message instead!
- Make sure segmenting based on knowledge you hv about recipients.
Optimize & Test
- Don't limit email testing to subject lines.
- Embrace testing of various elements in email marketing effort
to optimize email performance.
4. Achieving measurable ROI
- this is tightly connected with challenge one
- generate new leads from other channels.
- track leads from beginning to becoming customer
- help us to identify the most powerful channel
5. Using email for funnel optimization
- Email can strengthen other initiatives
- The real power comes from achieving a strong marketing mix.
- Nurture your leads (Lead nurturing)
- Aka, marketing automation,
drip marketing, auto-responders
- If taking leads a month to make purchase decision,
then make sure spreading out communications to
keep them engaged throughout the month
6 types of marketing emails
- Different types of email formats
have different goals and advantages.
1. Email Newsletter
- Define your goal,
What is you want the email newsletter to achieve?
to trace progress
- Brand awareness
- Re-purpose content
- Diverse content
- Diluted call-to-action
- Prospects &
- Stay focused on the goal
- Provide summaries of existing information, and
Offer a snapshot of a specific time frame.
- Easier to consume than newsletter
- Help subscribers scan emails quickly &
Click on the parts that they're most interested in.
- Place the most important call-to-action at the top &
Measure clickthrough rate and conversions
3. Dedicated Email
- also known as Stand-alone email
- Focused on call-to-action
- Easy to build
- Fast to measure
- newsletter has fixed schedule
- dedicated email is less clear
- subscribers may not realize or expect it.
- Homogenous content
4. Lead Nurturing
- About understanding the nuances of
leads' timing and needs.
- It's timely
- It's automated
- It's targeted
- Generates less concurrent buzz
- Passive tracking
5. Sponsorship emails
- $1.51 billion are spent
on email marketing in US 2011.
- a component to paid media strategy.
- Design own email copy/ad in html and plain text.
- Evaluate the vender, should be crediable
- Highly targeted
- Exact ROI
- It's paid.
- Dedicated resources
6. Transactional emails
- the messages that get triggered
by a specific action your contacts have taken
and enable them to complete that action.
- Also the message you receive from eCoomerce site
that confirm the order and give shipment info. or others.
- High CTR
- Creates an obstacle
9 email marketing metrics
To assess email marketing performance, you must
conduct ongoing trend analysis of several key metrics.
- compare against yr own averages
- Email service provider(ESP) provides a wealth of reporting.
1. Bounce rate
- The percentage of
total sent emails could not be delivered,
known as Bounce.
How to use
- uncover potential problems with email list
- "Hard" bounces
- "Soft" bounces
2. Delivery rate
- The percentage of emails
that were actually delivered to inboxes.
How to use
- Delivery rate sets the stage
for email success or failure.
- If slipping over time, means problem with email list.
- If a particular campaign has lower rate,
examine the subject line and content.
3. List growth rate
- A measurement of
how fast email list is growing
- why important:
a healthy email marketing program needs to be
continually refreshed with new names.
- The proportion of audience who
clicked on one more links in email
- Is a cornerstone of email marketing analytics
- CTR can vary widely by the type of message sent.
5. Email sharing
- The percentage of recipients who click on a "share this" button to
post email content to a social network or "forward xxx" button.
How to use
- The indicator of value and relevance of email messages.
- Watch sharing rate carefully to discover which type message gets the most shared.
6. Conversion rate
- The percentage of recipients, who
clicked link within email and completed a desired action.
How to use
- the ultimate measure of email compaign's effectiveness.
- is also dependent on factors beyond the original email,
such as landing page quality
- To measure it, require integration between email platform and web analytics
7. Revenue per email sent
- A measure of the ROI of a particular email campaign
How to use
- ideal for e-commerce marketers
- requires integration between ESP
and e-commerce or web analytics platform
8. Open rate
- a metric to measure the success of campaigns.
- if an important image in email, but blocked,
but email is opened!
- can be manipulated by writing catchy
- It will be better to focus on click-through rate
9. Unsubscribe rate
- also isn't a reliable gauge of health of email list
- People tired of receiving email won't bother your product
- tracking click-through rate and conversion rate is better
checking this rate monthly is helpful
- for calculating overall list growth rate.
- to watch for sudden spikes after a particular email campaign.
Conclusion & Additional resources
Email marketing is a powerful channel for
- driving real business results.
- achieving measurable ROI.
- Integrate email marketing program with other channels
and start achieving measurable ROI.